Risk Assessment and Risk Management in the travel health consultation: eLearning
A short eLearning module designed for health professionals who are new to undertaking risk assessment in the travel health consultation or experienced, and looking for a ‘refresher’, or returning to work in travel health (travel medicine). In five short modules, the eLearning introduces the general principles of risk assessment and risk management and the information you might gather in a travel health consultation. Case studies encourage you to think about the best approach and a worked scenario gives you an opportunity to apply the learning yourself.
The use of a real-time UK based travel health resource, TravelHealthPro is encouraged throughout.
IT System requirements
- An internet connection is required (2Mbs or above recommended) and there is sound on the videos (or you can use the subtitles - click on the small CC symbol bottom right of the videos).
- TravelHealthPro and the NaTHNaC Training Portal are optimised for modern browsers. For optimum performance of this website you should update to the latest version of Chrome, Firefox, Safari or Edge.
By the end of this eLearning, you will be able to:
- Define the terms risk assessment and risk management in the context of the travel health consultation.
- Review your consultation process to ensure you can capture and record key information about the traveller’s medical history and travel itinerary and consider the potential impact of these factors on planned travel.
- Identify both vaccine-preventable and non-vaccine preventable travel-related health hazards.
- Interpret the likelihood of the traveller encountering identified hazards during their planned trip (risk assessment), determine and discuss appropriate interventions and provide individualised advice (risk management).
- Locate resources and use them appropriately to support your risk assessment and inform risk management.
- Recognise situations where further advice should be sought.
We encourage you to reflect on your eLearning experience.
A section showing useful resources is provided in this eLearning.
Completion certificate and Evaluation
Progress to the payment & enrolment process
- Click on the 'Buy this course' button. You need to be registered with a log in account first.
- Checkout the basket and process the online card payment (non-refundable). Check your emails (incl. spam folder) for the Sagepay receipt.
- To locate course enrolment, see the 'Your Courses' MENU option.
If the course enrolment is missing (applicable to registered Yellow Fever Vaccination Centres only):
- If the training was purchased by booker/Admin Lead, please contact your colleague to activate your course enrolment.
- If you're the Admin Lead, see 'Manage Course Licence' option located on MENU and enrol either Self or Trainee (meaning other colleague).